Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Networking

I was at a social event this evening and I met someone who I had helped yet had never met. A few months ago, I was at the gym talking with a friend about my search for a new childcare arrangement. Another woman nearby mentioned that her daughter had just moved to the area and was also looking for a new childcare arrangement. So I sent her a list that I had, which she then shared with her daughter. Her daughter, who I met tonight, ended up hiring a nanny from my list.

This just reminds me that you can’t have enough friends when you have kids. I’ve mentioned this again and again, I know. But it really is worth your while to help others. Besides just being the right thing to do, if you are helpful to others, they will likely be helpful to you. I often forward on messages from other parents looking for help with something. Whether you are looking for a babysitter or a new doctor, recommendations from friends are key to making your life easier as a parent.

A new site I came across recently allows you to start your own local networking group if you want to meet other parents in your area. Check out www.meetup.com. Maybe you can expand your network!