Thursday, August 23, 2007

Back to School

While my kids are just in pre-school, it is still back to school week for us. While it is only part-time, it still is not easy. There have been some tears (for all of us) and after only three days, I still walk out with that tugging feeling in my chest. You know the one, where you question every decision you have made about your work and your family. While they would be going to pre-school now even if I didn’t work, the school day would be shorter.

I know I have made the right decision. My kids are getting a fantastic early education. They are making friends and most likely having more fun that if they were home with me. They certainly are eating better. And I am making money to support them and also finding personal fulfillment.

But it is still hard to do. Everyone is tired at night, including me. I remind myself that many are not as fortunate to have the flexibility that I do. I was really missing them yesterday so I picked them up an hour early, and worked later after they went to bed to catch up on what I missed. Did I mention it is not easy?

So this is my dilemma for back to school. I’m sure you have one too, most parents do. For many, back to school time generates a desire to find a more family friendly work arrangement. There was an article on ABC’s website this week that provides some great tips for that pursuit, check it out here.