Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I Need a Wife

My apologies to any men that might be reading this, but I guess all I need is a wife. As pointed out in a recent story in the Boston Globe (here), wives tend to take on majority of household chores, giving men with wives (stay-at-home or working) fewer home obligations. As a result, men often can better manage work and family, because family responsibilities aren’t as time consuming.

Check out “Wifework” by Susan Maushart if you aren’t convinced that women do more around the house. While my husband Dave most likely does better than most, I still take on a bulk of the housework here. Some of the tip of scale toward me is by design. I work less (supposedly) and do have more time to do things around here. However, some is due to a difference in opinion about what needs done. For example, Dave doesn’t see the value of cleaning the bathrooms before guests come over.

Since I’m happily married to Dave, I doubt I’ll be getting a wife anytime soon. I’ve already lowered my standards on housework. I guess I just need to keep delegating more to Dave, or the kids.