Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Next President

I don't usually like to debate political issues, as I don't always feel like I am completely informed. However, I am probably as informed on political issues as most other people who do go to the polls to vote. Further, you can't separate work/life issues entirely from legislative issues so understanding each candidate's agenda here is useful. The fact is that future legislation may be able to help create more family-friendly work opportunities.

While I consider myself an Independent, I plan to vote in the Democratic primary as I believe that at this time, a Democratic leader will serve us better; particularly on the work and family front. So far, I have been impressed with both Clinton and Obama, but I am undecided. Unfortunately, I am in Ohio which has a March primary, and often the candidate is already decided by the time I get a chance to vote.

I've done a bit of exploring of their respective websites and have identified their views on work/family issues. Interestingly, they both have some great ideas to improve work and family life. Both are in support of extending paid parental leave and also in supporting flexible work opportunities. Clinton does speak a bit more about the need for quality childcare, and she does have a history of working to support children. But, I am still undecided.

Read more about Obama's work/family views here. Clinton lays out her support of parents here, and addresses work/family specifically in a speech here.