Saturday, January 19, 2008

Kid's Perspective

My kids have always been my 7am alarm. However, over the last few weeks my 5 year old Hank has been sleeping in a bit. Of course the days he sleeps late are days that I need to get to work and he needs to get to school. I don't like to have to wake him, but I do so we can get on the road on time.

This morning, a Saturday when we have no where to go, he is up at 6:30am. Now for those of you whose kids get up at 5 or 6am every day, you probably have no sympathy for me. But I enjoy sleeping in and after several days of shaking my son awake to rush out the door, it was very frustrating to see his little face this morning waking me instead.

And so I asked him, why do you sleep in on school days, and not on the weekend? His response was that shcool requires extra energy so he needs the extra sleep. Staying home is just relaxing so the extra rest isn't needed. I thought it was a clever response from a 5 year old, but it also started me thinking, he might be on to something here.

I have always thought that the weekends were for sleeping in, but maybe it is more important to get up early so we have plenty of time to enjoy them. Once my kids are in school full-time, the weekends will be our only chance to spend the day together. So maybe we should get up early to enjoy?