Friday, January 25, 2008

Importance of Work for Women

As I read more of Leslie Bennett's "The Feminine Mistake," I become more and more convinced that women in particular need to stay connected to the workforce after they have children.

The need to work goes beyond financial stabiliy; contributing to women's self-esteem and emotional health. Further, work for women creates more equality in the male/female relationship. I found some great quotes from social activists that made me consider these ideas further...

"I thnk that implicit in the women's movement is the idea that women will share in the economic burden, and men will share more equally in the home and the family." Betty Freidan

"Perhaps well-to-do women and unemployed ghetto teenagers have something in common. Neither group has been allowed to develop the self-confidence that comes from knowing you can support yourself." Gloria Steinem