Thursday, October 4, 2007

Weekend Get-a-Way

I leave (quite early) tomorrow morning to go meet up with my college roommates for our annual reunion weekend. Each year the three of us pick a location and fly in to spend an entire weekend kid-free. This year we are headed to the new home of one of my pals, Philadelphia. However, we'll be staying at a hotel instead of her home to make sure she gets a break too.

I was mentioning the get-a-way to a colleague whose children are grown and she said "good for you" and then followed with "I never felt comfortable leaving my children when they were young." What?? I know that there are many parents out there that feel this way, so please forgive me, but give me a break! I am leaving the kids with their father, not some stranger. He is for the most part perfectly capable of taking care of them (maybe not dressing them in matching clothes, but I am sure he will feed them and make sure they sleep, at least some).

And I really need this. Especially after this week of juggling schedules trying to make sure they were taken care of while they were sick. This is a weekend for me, to allow me to relax and rejuvenate. As a result of my time away, next week I will be a much better mom!

I'll let you know how it went when I return.....