Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I Can't Help But Ask...

Every time I meet another parent, I rush to ask them about their work arrangement. I try to be casual, starting with "so what do you do?" From there, I have to know if they have any flexibility at work, and if they work in any kind of unique flexible arrangement I insist on asking for every detail.

When I was writing my book, people understood this uncontrollable need to learn about the different kinds of arrangements parents have negotiated. But even now that the book is finished, I still can't help my compulsion to learn about how other parents balance work and family. Obviously it is something I am passionate about, enought at least to write a book. But, I think it goes beyond that. In my own struggle to spend time with my kids without sacrificing my career, I find some comfort in learning that others have made efforts to find balance.

This week I chatted with two ladies with great work arrangements. Beth is an acocunt manager at a private airport. She works three, twelve-hour days (Sunday-Tuesday). Her husband works a traditional workweek and her parents watch her kids on Monday and Tuesday during the day. She is considered full-time and receives full benefits, but still gets to spend four full days a week with her kids.

Allison is a speech therapist, currently working just one day a week at a nursing home (second shift). She also fills in for other therapists on an occasional basis. While she has only a part-time income, she has complete flexibility and is able to keep her skills and licensing up-to-date so she can easiliy return to full-time work at any time she wants.

These are two from just this week. I am suprised on a regular basis about how many creative work arrangements parents have negotiated with their employers. I'm sure there are many more out there, and I plan to keep asking.