Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sick Child Care

I think I just wrote about this a few weeks ago, but again this week we were plagued by sick days. Yesterday wasn’t too difficult. I could work from home except for a one-hour class I teach, which my husband covered over his lunch. Today was more difficult, I had a training program that I was giving to a client, and my husband had several urgent meetings. My in-laws and mom came through taking shifts to take care of the kids until I could get home.

The kids were, of course, just sick enough to not go to school. But, not really that sick. My son woke up with a fever that blocked him from going to school, but it was gone by 9am. The kids had a great day hanging out with grandparents. In fact, they have asked if they can be sick again tomorrow.

For us, today was a panic trying to coordinate last minute childcare for only mildly ill kids. I would love to see a “sick childcare” center open around here. Sick childcare provides care for mildly ill children. It is for cases just like we had today where your child may be contagious, so you don’t want them to go to school. But, they are not seriously ill where they need you there. These centers have health care professionals on staff that provide supervision and care for the sick children.

Interested in learning more? There is actually a non-profit organization that exists to promote the establishment of sick childcare centers. Learn more about them here.