Saturday, October 27, 2007

Staying In

It is a rainy, cold Saturday afternoon and I couldn't be happier. We attended a Halloween Party for the kids this morning, but we have no other plans the rest of the day. I have on a cozy sweatshirt and fuzzy slippers on and I have my feet up in my favorite recliner getting ready to watch a movie with my son.

On days like this, I ask myself why we have to be so busy all of the time. Sometimes I feel like I just go from one commitment to the next, never actually enjoying what I do. I feel stressed out a lot, and I know that it is all self-induced. That is, I stretch myself thin, trying to keep my kids involved in things and always trying to accomplish as much as possible in a day.

It helps me sometimes to read books by 'real' moms that aren't always trying to be the perfect supermom. Here are some of my favs:
  • Confessions of a Slacker Mom by Muffy Mead-Ferro
  • The Three Martini Playdate by Christie Mellor
  • Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott

Any other good ones out there?