Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mom Entreprenuers

More and more moms are finding that starting their own business is the best way to find family friendly work. According to a recent article I came across, a study by the Center for Women's Business Research reported that women own nearly half of the privately held businesses in the United States. Further, one in every eleven women is an enterprenuer!

Kaye Bowles, the author of the article, suggested that more women start businesses because of the flexibility that your own business offers. I agree. I see more and more moms (and dads) starting their own business because of the frustration of working for someone else.

I know I've shared many examples of how my own business has helped me find the flexibility I need. Again tomorrow I've been able to easily rearrange my schedule to make it to my kids' school Halloween parties. There is just something about that feeling of control that really helps you feel that you are doing well for your family.

The article points out, however, that you must pursue a business opportunity that you are passionate about. While you have control over your schedule, you still have to work hard to make a business succeed. If you don't like what you're doing, your family will sense it. Work that causes you to bring home frustrations is often not very family friendly.