Saturday, October 20, 2007

Living Cheap

I was talking with another mom this morning about her work. She said she loves her job, but could make more money if she worked more. But she has decided not to, because she wants to spend time with her kids.

Is her retirement account suffering? Has she stopped saving for her kids' college? No. Instead of letting her family friendly work schedule affect her financial stability, her and her husband are cutting back in areas where it doesn't matter. They have older cars with no car payment, don't have cable TV and try not to eat out too much.

Financial management is an essential step in creating family friendly work. I'd love to remodel my bathroom, and buy all new furniture (everywhere in my house- everything we have is old!). But, instead, I get to spend a few extra quality days with my kids each week. It is a good trade-off.

There are lots of resources out there to help you better manager your money. Check out www.cheapskatemonthly.com, www.frugalvillage.com or www.frugalmom.com for some ideas to get started.