Saturday, March 22, 2008

Traveling with Kids

I am away visiting my Dad this weekend. It is only a few hours away, but we don't get here as often as we should. The fact is, I find traveling with kids too tiring! Maybe it is because we don't do it often. I would assume that the more you travel with your kids, the better you get at packing them up and getting on the road. We spent the entire morning yesterday just trying to leave our house. I am generally an organized person, so I don't know why it takes me three hours to pack up two kids and some luggage and leave.

And then there is the drive. My kids just don't do well sitting still. We bought new DVD players for the car and I thought that would make the drive easier. But my 3 year old bored with the movie in the first 15 minutes. I survived the next 2 1/2 hours of constant chatter, but really miss the days of being able to listen to a book on a trip.

We'll stay another day, but most of tomorrow will be dedicated to packing up the car and getting everyone to leave. While I enjoy the time I spend here, the traveling aspect just wears me out.