Saturday, March 15, 2008

Making Money

Stay-at-home parents, as well as working parents, can find creative ways to make some money along the way. The Internet has brought a lot of unique opportunities to bring in some income without having to go to a work place.

You can start an online business or you can find lots of smaller opportunities to bring in cash. I have several friends that sell their own things, or things they have picked up at garage (or other discount) sales on eBay. Some parents participate in online surveys or do secret shopping. I just received a note this week from Continental Airlines about a program they have to earn frequent flyer miles by completing surveys.

This week I received a note from a new website called Wiseprice. The purpose of the site is to provide the public with information on what reasonable prices are for various kinds of services. They will accomplish this by having site visitors share the prices they have paid- ultimately building a huge database that can be used to check out pricing. I like the idea, mostly because I really have no idea how much a lot of things should cost! For example, we are looking to put in a new fence in our backyard this summer. I plan to call and get a couple of estimates done, but I really don't know what to expect for a price.

Wiseprice contacted me because they are offering financial incentives for people to post what they paid for various services. They are willing to pay $5 (via paypal) for any post over 250 words that shares information about a service. I have checked the site out, and it seems to be legitimate- but I am not endorsing it! Check it out for yourself- use good judgement as you would with any online business (i.e. don't enter personal info, etc). Here's the link: http://www.wiseprice.com/wahms.htm.

There are many other opportunities out there such as this, just do a little digging! While you might not make a lot of money, you could pick up a little extra spending cash.