Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Career Move

Last week I made a big move. Well, I haven't made the move yet, just the decision. Next year I will join the full-time faculty at the college I teach at now. I've taught there part-time for several years, but the move to full-time is going to be a big change.

In the long-run, I know it is a good. However, making a full-time commitment to an employer is big move. While I pretty much work full-time right now, it is on my own terms. I can cancel appointments or not take on a project if I need to. As a full-time employee, I won't quite have that flexiblity.

But when it comes to full-time work, a position as a college professor is about as flexible as you can get. With the exception of your scheduled class meeting times, you can pretty much work whenever and wherever you want. And, I can take the summers off!

So while I am a little hesitant, I think my life won't change too much. Except for the better pay, benfefits and job security. There is also the exciting fact that I will only have one job.