Wednesday, April 2, 2008

More on housework...

Housework is one of my least favorite things, yet I keep feeling the need to talk about it. The fact is, you just can't get away from it. And the less time you have to do housework, the more you notice it isn't getting done.

Yesterday the cleaning ladies came, which is both stressful and joyful. It is stressful because we have to get the place picked up enough to be cleaned. You may think that isn't a big deal, but you would cringe if you had to see my house before we picked up. It is overwhelming.

But now it is clean! I am reminded once again that having clean surroundings really does make you feel better. It is worth the effort, and perhaps we should have the cleaning ladies come more often. It is a potentially a very worthwhile investment.

The good news is the kids are getting big enough to help out more, so maybe we won't let it get so out of control. They are now responsible for picking up their rooms and the playroom and will get an allowance at the end of the week if they do a good job. We probably should have started this earlier, but at 5 and 3, I think now is a good time to learn responsibility. My 3-year old doesn't quite get it. But, my son is setting a good example for her, and she is at least trying.

Maybe next month when the cleaning ladies come it will only be joy, without the stress.