Saturday, April 5, 2008

Girl's Night Out

I've done something I swore I would never do, I've joined a Bunco group. My opposition to Bunco was based on my perception that it was a ritual of suburban housewives. Joining a Bunco group to me meant that you were officially un-hip, and just another joiner of a group with no purpose.

For those of you who don't know, Bunco is a a rather simple dice game that is played with a dozen or more players. It involves rolling dice to earn tally's, kind of like Yahtzee, but with more simplicity. You move around to different tables, occasionally yell out "Bunco" and otherwise just eat, drink and chat.

But after a couple of invitations from some friends, I decided to go check it out. My impression of the game was confirmed, it is really pointless. It involves no skill, strategy or even much thought. But the night out that accompanies it makes it a great girl's night out, and I now have my calendar marked for the first Friday of every month, "Bunco."

Part of the fun for me is that the group I've joined is a great mix of women. They are all married, but they are young to old, childless to moms of teens. Some work, some stay-at-home. The workers range from school teachers to financial managers. But they all have one thing in common, they are women looking to connect with other women.

I've only been twice, but have found myself enjoying the conversations. Giggling like teenagers at some points, at other times discussing serious child-rearing concerns. The main objective of the night is to just get out of our own world and spend a few hours just having a good old fashioned girl's night out.