Monday, July 23, 2007

Returning from Vacation

I have returned from vacation, a little rested and happy to be home. We only rented a cabin at campground an hour away, but the kids thought it was a blast. And it was just a few days, as traveling with preschoolers is still a lot of work. But it was enough time to feel like a break.

I also successfully abandoned work for almost the entire time I was away (I admit I did do a bit in the car). I left my computer at home, which I haven’t done in years. I’ve always envied others that can so easily walk away from work for long periods of time. The ability to turn work off in your head without a thought is one to treasure!

Sometimes I worry that I focus on my work too much. It sounds like a cliché, but this vacation helped reassure me that I have my priorities in place. Even when I am at home with the kids, it is easy to get distracted by a work issue, I am not always sure I am giving them the attention I should. But this weekend, I did successfully leave work at home. I was able to really enjoy watching and playing with the kids without wondering if there was something else I needed to be doing.

On the flip side, when I am away from my kids for a work reason, I think about them constantly. I call several times a day and have on occasion returned earlier than planned just to see them. The fact that I can painlessly separate from my work reminds me that I know what is truly important.