Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Helping Others

I started my day doing yard work for my in-laws, and ended it helping my mom take out her trash. Did I do these things because I have loads of free time and needed something to do? Of course not, I haven’t had free time in years. In fact, spending my time helping them out was time away from work that I needed to get done.

Of course I help my family out because they are my family who I love and care about. But I also believe in karma. If you are always willing to help others, then they will always be willing to help you.

I often hear from other parents that they don’t have anyone to help them with their kids. Their family lives out of town, or if they are in town, they are rarely willing to take the kids. Or they don’t have any friends willing to help.

But if you look for opportunities to help others, eventually it will come around to you. To me, it is not about an even exchange. That is, I don’t expect a friend to take my kids for a few hours just because I took hers for a few hours. I just think that if I always look for opportunities to help my friends and family, someone will be available to help me when I need it.