Saturday, July 14, 2007

Demand for Family Friendly Work

I didn’t plan to talk much about my book much on this blog. I’m hoping my musings on family friendly work would just intrigue you enough to get the book anyway. Plus, I have a lot more to say about the topic beyond what I covered in the book, so I need to keep writing. But please indulge me for just today as I talk about the book.

My book was just released a few weeks ago. However, it wasn’t due out until the end of July, so there hasn’t been a lot of publicity yet. I think that as the word gets out, the book will be a success (hopefully- please buy it to help it succeed!).

While I would like to attribute the pending success of the book to my brilliant writing and amazing wealth of knowledge, I think that the book (and any book on this topic for that matter) will succeed because it is needed.

As I’ve mentioned the book to people, I’ve been fascinated by the stories that I have heard about parents that have struggled to find family friendly work. I’ve heard about moms giving up their careers because they couldn’t get any flexibility at their company, and just assumed no other company would provide flexibility either. I’ve heard from frustrated dads that don’t get the same respect in the workplace as moms when it comes to parenting needs. Many people have just said that they have heard a lot about this topic lately, and it seems that more parents really are seeking flexibility at work.

The problem is, they don’t know what exactly to ask for and they don’t know how to ask for it. Well stay tuned here (or buy the book…), I have lots of ideas to get you started.