Monday, June 25, 2007

It Isn’t Always Easy

Today I was officially off work, but I am never really completely off work. As a consultant, there is always the possibility that a client might need me on a day that I am off. As a college instructor, there are always papers that need grading, or a next class to prepare.

Today was one of those days. I was home with my kids this morning when I received a call from a client with an issue that needed resolved immediately. I usually do not to answer the phone when I am with the kids, but I had already received one desperate message from the client so I knew it was important.

The kids were good for most f the call, but clicked on their CD player at one point and I did a frantic dance waving and silently threatening them trying to get them to turn it off and be quiet for just a few more minutes. The stress I felt by the end of the call left me wondering what I was doing. Why do I do work that could call me away from my kids? Wouldn’t it be easier to not even be working at all?

But then I realized that the stressful situation only lasted about 15 minutes. The rest of the day I spent hanging out around the pool with my kids. And while tomorrow I will be working all day, I truly love what I do. And I know that while I am working, my kids are in good hands, having a great time.

It is not easy to work when you have a family. But, it is not always easy for my stay-at-home friends either. Bottom line, it isn’t always easy to have a family. Whether you work or you don’t work, you face daily challenges. The fact that I do have work that I enjoy gives me one more reason to keep going at it!