Sunday, June 10, 2007

Help Wanted

On Sunday mornings I always find some time to read through the 'help-wanted' ads in our local paper. It is interesting to see what kind of opportunities exist and I often find it inspiring for my work. Reading employment ads can help you focus on what kind of work you want to do. As you read ads, you should make notes of what you find attractive about different types of jobs. If you do this on a weekly basis and keep looking at your notes, eventually you will see a pattern emerge that might provide you with some insight into what you really want to do. You can also get a feel for the type of qualifications different companies are seeking.

This morning I read an ad that I found particularly appealing. I read the job description over a couple of times and considered for a moment whether or not I was on the right path. Maybe returning to work full-time in a corporate environment would be interesting. But that thought only lasted a few minutes. I know some about the company in this ad, particularly that they do not welcome flexible schedules. For me, right now, the schedule is more important than the job itself.