Thursday, June 7, 2007

Getting Help

A few days ago I caught part of some talk show about stressed-out moms. A woman was relating her tales of disorganization and general chaos around her house. She was a stay-at-home mom, and surprisingly stated that she formerly was a working mom and felt her life was more under control when she was working full-time! At first I didn't get it. I mean, if she was able to manage three kids, a home and work full-time, why couldn't she manage three kids and a home without working?

And then she shared the problem. When she was working, she had lots of help from others. She had a regular sitter, her mother and other family members who often pitched in to help out. Her husband did his fair share of domestic duties. But, once she started staying home full-time, she was on her own.

Whether you stay-at-home, work-at-home or work outside of the home; outside help makes your life easier. I have a sitter for my kids and my mom available to help. But, I have also made friends with other moms and we help each other out when we can. Whether it is picking something up at the store or from the school for me, or watching my kids while I run a quick errand, other moms save me often.

If you don't have friends that are parents, find some! You can meet other parents through the PTA or school activities, or just by walking around the neighborhood. I know some moms who have found new parent friends online. For example, you can find a playgroup at www.matchingmoms.com. Get out there and get some help!