Monday, February 25, 2008

Jon & Kate Plus Eight

Let me just admit it, I am a reality TV junkie. I don't know what the attraction is, I am an just drawn to reality shows. I particularly like those on TLC, as they seem to be a little more interesting and less dramatic.

So another one that has me thinking about family friendly work is the one I am watching while I type, "Jon & Kate Plus Eight." It is about a young couple that has twin daughters who I think are now 6 or 7 years old, along with six three-year olds. (learn more about the show here) I enjoy it becasue their kids are about the same age as mine, there are just many more. It makes my life seem easy.

The first year I watched it Jon worked full-time and Kate had cut back to just a day or so a week as a nurse. This season, they say that Kate quit her job as a nurse to stay home with her kids. So how do you support a family of ten on one salary? Well, you do a reality TV show! You then become a celebrity and get paid big bucks to do speaking engagements.

I have no idea how much Kate and Jon make to film this show, but you have to believe that TLC makes it worthwhile for them. Further, they are constantly getting free trips and products from companies that want to be featured on the show. Some people may criticize them, suggesting that they are exploiting their children. But I don't see it that way, and I am sure that Jon and Kate don't see it that way either. In fact, they mentioned at one point that they are excited to have their kids' young lives on tape. With eight kids, who has time to pull out a video camera?

In addition to the revenue from the show, Jon and Kate are also paid to speak at events. I checked out their website and see they have a fairly active speaking schedule. It seems like they mostly speak at religous events, and they pretty much seem to just be sharing their story. But, they are paid to do so.

If you have eight young children, working outside of the house would be close to impossible. How much money would you have to make to offset daycare costs? And how exhausted would you be trying to get out of the house each day? I am pretty much exhausted from just trying to get two ready to go.

Now obviously not everyone can get a reality show, or get paying speaking engagements, but there are ways to get work in around your kids lives. Or better yet, you can integrate your work into your kids lives as Kate and Jon have done.

For me, it involves sometimes grading papers while the kids draw pictures. I read about a florist mom who took her daughter to the flower wholesales shops with her each day to pick up flowers. Or my friend Jill who flips houses. She often takes the kids along to see houses or has them around while she works on the properties she owns. Other ideas?