Friday, December 28, 2007

Technology: Friend or Foe

Technology seems to be a catalyst to supporting the quest of many to find a more flexible work option. Technology allows us to easily work from home, or stay connected when we work part-time or an alternate schedule. I know I could not run my consulting business and spend a lot of time with my kids as I do now if I didn't have e-mail. I try to conduct as much business as possible through e-mail so that I can easily stay on top of things even on my off days by a quick check of e-mail. It would be impossible to return a client call with toddlers screaming in the background.

But that same technology that gives us the freedom to work when and where we want, also runs the risk of keeping us more connected with our work than with our family. I fortunately have not picked up Blackberry yet, so I am able to make it through an afternoon at the park with my kids without checking in. But, if my laptop is nearby, I can't resist the temptation to check-in, even if I am doing something fun with the kids. And a few days away on a vacation still includes my cell phone and related messages and necessary returned calls.

An astute MBA student makes many of these same observations (here). As the article points out, beyond risking your family time, staying plugged in can also lead to burn-out and disengagement with your work.

It is therefore important to set some boundaries on your use of technology outside of work hours. Here a few tips:
- Make sure you colleagues/clients are aware of your work schedule and availability. For example, on your off days, you may decide to check your e-mail just once in the afternoon. As long as those who need you understand that, they can plan their communications with you appropriately.
- Use your "out of office" settings on your e-mail, or keep your voicemail message up-to-date with your availability. Most people will be patient to wait to hear back from you as long as they know when you will be checking in.
- Leave your cell phone or Blackberry in your car when you are attending an event with your child. That urgent message will most likely be able to wait an hour while you watch your kid's school program, but you may miss your child's solo performance if you are distracted by a vibrating phone urging you to check your messages.

Technology has the potential to invade your family time, but only if you let it. Iknow it has allowed me to have the flexibility to work the schedule I want, but I also know I have to work hard to use technology in the right place at the right time.