Monday, March 30, 2009

The Berenstain Bears

My kids usually watch a cartoon at bedtime, and The Berenstain Bears is sometime the cartoon of choice. The kids enjoy The Berenstain Bears, we have dozens of their books. I like them because they always have a subtle life lesson that they share.

Tonight the kids watched an episode while I rushed around putting away some laundry and organizing some things for tomorrow morning. As I was passing through the room I heard Mama Bear despairing about being so busy all of the time. She caught my ear and I decided to take a few minutes and sit down with the kids to watch the rest of the show.

The Bears seemed to be living our life. Mama Bear and Papa Bear were busy with work, PTA meetings, volunteer work and housekeeping. Brother Bear and Sister Bear were involved in karate, dance, swimming, soccer, baseball and other activites beyond school. (side note: apparently the Berenstain's weren't very creative with names).

As usual the Bears concluded the show by realizing how they were headed down the wrong path. As they became confused about where they were going next, and ultimately missed some activities because they were so busy they forgot to get their car repaired, the family finally decided they were doing too much. Grandma Bear, who was frustrated that she couldn't get on their calendar for dinner, pointed out to them that there is a difference between 'doing and over-doing.'

The family then sat down and decided what they really wanted to keep doing, and what activities they could live without. As I sat watching the show, I felt like I was being given a 'sign' or a reminder that I need to slow down. I say it all the time, 'we should try to be less busy.' But, then I go on and sign the kids up for the next activity, and I commit to the next committee myself. Maybe I should be listening to more to Grandma Bear.