Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mom as a hero

Tonight I caught an episode of Dateline on NBC which featured stories about ordinary people who do extraordinary things to save others. In one story, two bystanders helped a police officer who was struggling with a man trying to take her gun. One of the bystanders was a busy mom who stepped away from putting her groceries in her car to help save this police officer by jumping on top of, and restraining the man.

Her response to the recognition: "I don't feel like a hero. When you have five kids and you get through each day, it's heroic. You don't have time to think, you either do or you don't and I am a doer. "

So imagine, comparing wrestling an armed criminal to managing a typical day with five kids. Well, I only have two kids, but some days I feel the same. They say that the skills you develop as a mom can help you. I always thought that meant you can apply what you learn as a mom to the workplace and be a better employee, but perhaps it just means that being a mom will make you be a better person.