Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Magic of Believing

My son woke up around 5am this morning, convinced that Santa had come to our house. He heard reindeer hoofs on the roof. My daughter also reported hearing bells ringing softy, which she informed me were on the reindeers. I told them I wasn't so sure, I hadn't heard anything. And of course, I was wrong. As they rushed downstairs and viewed the gifts under the tree, they both told me repeatedly, "I told you!" And I think they realy did hear the reindeer.

The magic of believing doesn't just apply to Santa. It is true in all parts of your life. Of course a lot happened behind the scenes to make sure that Santa arrived for the kids. But isn't that always the case? Making anything happen takes some effort. What you want doesn't come just because you believe, but you must believe to make it happen.

Writing a book was something that I always wanted to do. But, for the longest time, I didn't really think I could. I learned a little about how hard it was to get a book published and I just assumed it was impossible. But then I had what I thought was a good idea for a book, and I started to believe. In fact, I convinced myself that I would write a book.

The book did not just magically appear. I spent months researching and writnig a proposal which I sent to countless publishers. And then I had to actually sit down and write it, which involved a lot of hard work. But all along the way, I believed I would write a book.

Believing is what makes your hard work pay off.