Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Cost of Not Working

So I am just a few weeks into my "summer off" and have determined one suprising fact: I am spending more money! When you aren't off busy working every day, you have a lot more time on your hands and that time provides lots of opportunities to spend money.

Much of the spending has been on fun things like vacation. We've also met friends out for lunch and we've done some activities such as going to the zoo. Some spending has been on the house. When you are in your house more, you tend to notice lots of things that need fixed.

If I am going to survive the summer without going broke, I am going to have to focus on activities and entertainment that don't cost money. I also should try to be a bit more thrifty, maybe take some time to cut coupons or look out for sales.

I have come across a couple of activities that are free in the summer. At www.kidsbowlfree.com, you can get coupons for free bowling. And, the Regal Entertainment Group provides free morning movies at many of their theaters, check it out here. Other ideas?