Saturday, November 3, 2007

Outsourcing

If you are a working parent, you know you can find more time for your kids by outsourcing chores around the house such as cleaning and cutting the grass. But some parents are finding more time by outsourcing some of the less desirable parenting jobs.

An article in the Chicago Sun-Times (here), tells of the availability of consulting services that you can use to take over such parenting headaches as potty training, getting your baby to sleep through the night or helping you manage other behavioral problems.

While I don't think we should give up our responsibiity as parents, if there are some non-essential parenting duties that I can get help with, I am all for it. Potty training for instance. I would have loved to be able to take my kids to a day long class and come home to a diaperless world! I only have 2 kids, and learning how to potty train them is a skill that I will never need again. I didn't enjoy it, in fact, I found it very exhausting and time consuming.

Call me a slacker, but if I can outsource a duty I don't enjoy and save myself some valuable time that I can use to do something fun with my kids, then I think it is a good idea.