Saturday, November 10, 2007

Doing it All

I have had several friends comment to me how they are impressed with how I do it all. Many of my friends, particularly those who are at home full-time or do not have kids, think that I have some super abilities in order to manage my kids, my work and my home.

What all working moms know, however, is that we don't really do it all. Or, at least, we don't do it all well. I have commented several times about the lack of cleanliness around my house. Some don't believe me as I typically work hard to clean up this disaster area before guests arrive.

But, my real secret is that I am slowly losing my mind. Or, at least my memory. As I type this I have no idea where my keys are. My keys, that I need to drive my car, get into my office and my house. I have also wasted about an hour of my day today so far looking for them. And this is not the first time I lost or forgotten something important. I have spent weeks looking for lost papers, or clothes. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten if I have or haven't washed my hair yet during a shower (I always just give it a second wash, just in case).

And so, one of the things you must accept if you are going to be a working parent, is dimenishing memory. That is O.K. though. Sometimes when I am away from home for a busy day, I don't remember how dirty my house is and I can pretend that I am a busy working mom that is doing it all.