Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Gig Economy

While I have enjoyed having 'a real job' these last few months, I do miss the flexibility of my past work arrangement. For about 10 years I worked independently, really doing my own thing(s). I taught college courses part-time, did all kinds of HR consulting work and wrote/promoted a book. I was always busy, but also always in complete control of my schedule.

I knew my situation was not unique, but I didn't realize I was part of a movement, what Tina Brown has referred to as "The Gig Economy." I heard Ms. Brown discuss this new phenomena on NPR this week, and checked out her article about the topic on The Daily Beast.

She points out that musicians and many lower income workers have worked 'gigs' for decades. Many have supported their families through working multiple jobs, temporary and otherwise, and jumping around from one thing to the next. But recently, higher paid professionals have been working in this less stable arrangement. In fact, a survey by The Daily Beast found that nearly 25% of those surveyed were working some type of alternate work arrangment involving temporary and parti-time jobs or 'gigs."

Some work gigs out of necessity. The difficult economy has led many to do what they need to to get by. But many, like me, select a career of gigs in order to have the control to manage work and family.

The downside of this work arrangement is of course the lack of certainty of where your next paycheck is gonig to come from. I was always concerned that I would run out of work opportuniteis. I spent quite a bit of time thinking creatively of where to find my next work opportunity. But I was lucky that there always seemed to be something to do. Further, when you are working gigs, you also don't have the luxury of some traditional work benefits such as healthcare insurance and retirement benefits.

So is The Gig Economy a temporary trend, or an indicator of our future? Is it a positive trend? For me, working gigs gave me the control over my schedule I needed to spend the time I wanted with my kids. But, if I didn't have a spouse to give me the security of a steady paycheck and health insurance, I'm not sure if it would have worked.