Sunday, September 14, 2008

Keeping Busy

When friends I don't see often ask me how I am doing, my standard reply is that I am 'keeping busy.' That has become more true than ever lately as I have taken on my new full-time job as a college professor. While I am working about the same number of hours as I have in the past, I am dedicating a majority of those to the new job. My consulting work and my work promoting flexible work has been on the backburner.

While I feel strongly about my work promoting flexibility, I've realized that it is something that that comes behind my kids and my job, at least for now. I am reading a good book right now, "I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids," that is helping me examine my priorities and keep myself from becoming overwhelmed. The book shares many anecdotal stories from moms all over the country and the ongoing message of the book is that we must set realistic expectations for ourselves.

Right now my paycheck and my family's healthcare benefits are coming from my full-time job, so I must make that a priority. I will post here and work on marketing my ideas about flexible work as I have time. I will also work on ways to integrate my belief in flexible work through my job as a researcher and educator. And I will continue to speak to groups and the media whenever I'm given the opportunity. But, if I just don't have time to do everything I think I should do, then I just don't have time. I can hopefully still make a difference with any effort I make.