Monday, July 21, 2008

Talking to your kids

I was just skimming through some articles about family friendly work and a few offered some advice on returning to work after maternity leave. I think about the thousands of parents who must return to a rigid, traditional work schedule after having a baby. I know many people who have faced the dilemma. A job that requires 45-50 hours per week at a minium, an hour commute each way, a rigid 8-5 schedule with threats of job loss if you are late too often. Only one week of vacation time each year and maybe just 2 or 3 sick days. Even if you love what you do, it is hard to manage a family under such work conditions.

While my work offers me all of the flexible I need, I really didn't plan for it. The work I do which I enjoy just happens to offer flexiblity. This fact does not escape me now, but it was far from my mind as I considered my career options when I was young.

In fact, in the more than 30 years it took me to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, not one person suggested I consider my family plans when making career decisions. And I am not sure why. If you plan to have children, you must consider how your career meshes with parenthood.

It is something I now address in the courses I teach. But, I think it is a topic that deserves attention earlier in life. I talk to my kids about work all of the time. Maybe I over do it with them, but if my kids had to leave a baby for a rigid job they didn't enjoy, I would feel like I failed them.